Monday, June 24, 2013

Tri-versary

Its been a whole year since the Henley Triathlon (see here) and it feels like a good day to re-evaluate my goals. I spent the afternoon with Lucy today, and then we went for a swim this evening. The swim was good, if frustrating, yada yada, but it lead me to think about what my long term goals are.

What do I actually want to achieve now?

Back in January, before surgery, before I knew this year would be different to last year, I set myself 13 goals (I'm sorry I dropped out of your initiative Rebecca!) and those goals were:

My goals for 2013

Personal goals:
* SORT MY BACK OUT, OR AT LEAST LEARN HOW TO IMPROVE AND MANAGE IT
* FIND A PART TIME JOB - THIS IS A BIGGIE FOR ME, VERY SCARY MENTALLY

Family goals:
* 'DEEP CLEAN' AND ORGANISE THE HOUSE, ROOM BY ROOM
* INITIATE SOME ROUTINES TO HELP THE HOUSE FUNCTION MORE EFFICIENTLY
* GET THE KIDLETS INVOLVED IN HELPING THE HOUSE TO RUN SMOOTHLY

Health and fitness goals:
* WORK ON STRENGTHENING MY CORE, THIS WILL FURTHER HELP MY BACK
* TRY ALL THE FITNESS CLASSES I AM ENTITLED TO WITH MY GYM MEMBERSHIP
* HAVE SWIMMING TUITION TO IMPROVE MY TECHNIQUE AND SPEED
* TONE AND FIRM UP MY NEWLY SLIMMER BODY
* BEAT LAST YEARS HENLEY TRIATHLON TIME
* RUN 5K IN 30 MINUTES, SHAVE THE TIME FURTHER, THEN RUN 10K

* CYCLE 1OO MILES IN ONE DAY- THIS IS ALSO A BIGGIE, CAN I PHYSICALLY DO IT?

(See the post here)

I have actually achieved ALL of my personal and family goals - and I didn't even realise it!!! I have fixed my back, I have got a job, we deep cleaned the house, the kidlets are now more involved in the running of it, and actually, from my health and fitness list, I did have swimming lessons too. That's half the list done! Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Anyway my point is, well Lucy's point actually, as I was berating myself over a crap swim, was why do I keep beating myself up, why don't I just set myself a 'normal' goal? Why do I have to keep setting my standards to my old tri self? I didn't just get up and run from word go in Jan 2012, I didn't just cycle 66 miles one day. I wheezed my way through the C25K and earned my sweat and tears, I earned my first 5k run and I sure as hell earned my bike miles. So how can I expect what is effectively a new back, to start doing what old back couldn't even do towards the end (end of what?).

Normal goals!! I need to consider myself, my new self, my balance and what makes me happy.

My first goal, the first of my new and normal goals, is to set about finding 5 things I can achieve and will make me happy over the next few weeks and months.
This was taken a few weeks ago, it was a good evening and I laughed loads. I had just made the button necklace I'm wearing and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine. More evenings like this are def going to be on my list of goals!
Thanks for Motivation Monday Rebecca,stolen your pin x


I challenge you too Clanettes, can you look back at the first half of this year and see what you've achieved?
Thanks for reading xx

No comments:

Post a Comment