Friday, May 31, 2013

Runners just run

A real quick post, just to log my gym-ery this morning. I talked about my thoughts on returning to running at the beginning of the week - see here.

Today Lucy and I met at the gym super early and I did my 'normal' gym set, whilst Lucy did hers and then I hopped on the treadmill.

Brisk walking (for me on the treadmill) starts at a speed of 4.5 (K an hour) and goes to 6. Between 6 and 7 I am half walking half jogging, but its an annoying speed inbetween anything comfortable. 7.5 is the beginning of a jog for me. 8 is a definite jog and in the old days running 5k at 9/9.5 was comfortable. My fastest 5k on a treadmill was done in 32 minutes.

Today I brisk walked between 4.5 and 6 for twenty minutes. I nudged up to a jog at 7.5 (K an hour) for 30 secs - 8 times. Coming down to a brisk walk in between to assess how my back felt. But I guess I ran for 4 minutes. Cardio is not an issue. I am fit in terms of lung capacity and energy levels. Even my back felt stronger at the beginning of the treadmill session.

Its my birthday tomorrow and we have ordered me a pair of barefoot trainers (Vivo's - see here). I don't think I am going to need to go back to the C25K, I just think I need to listen to myself and wait for my new trainers to arrive and re-learn my technique. I honestly think that going barefoot will help my posture and keep me injury free. A couple of good articles, one here and another here.
Learning the Skill of Barefoot Running with VIVOBAREFOOT from Terra Plana on Vimeo.


I think I proved today that runners just run. I just need to ease myself Back into it and take it steady.
And just run - in your face spinal fusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment