8 days post spinal fusion.
This time last week I was embarking on my 2nd night in intensive care.
Paul returned to work today, and this morning my mum and my sister took me to the dr, whilst my dad stayed at home with the kidlets. My sister took pics of my first foray back out into the world - wearing my slippers.. Ha ha! The trip to the drs was exhausting, the car ride was so uncomfortable and I was relieved to come back to the safe cocoon my parents have created.
I went to bed when we got in (a nana nap!), and enjoyed listening to the children playing in the back garden through the open window. They played 'prince and princesses' (who apparently cuddle, but do not kiss!) and ran around. Blissful.
Range of movement on day 8/ improvements from day 5:
* Walking is still a slow shuffle with walking sticks
* I can now lift my arms above my head and I washed my own hair in the shower this morning! Go me!
* 'Log rolling' in and out of bed is still excruciating
* Bending to sit is getting easier, although it gets worse as the day goes on
* I am still unable to bend because my back is too stiff. The kidlets now know to go to the stairs and poke their heads through the banister so they are tall enough to kiss me, and we have taken to putting my food plate on a tin to raise it up for me to eat without bending
* My wound still ITCHES, and rather than feeling like it might burst, its starting to feel tight. I think this is a good sign of healing.
* I have noticed that I have a few 'blank' patches of skin around my wound, where I can't feel anything. I am aware of pressure, but no sensation. So scratching is frustratingly pointless!!
I leave you with some pics of bits and bobs from the last couple of days - plus my x-rays taken when I left hospital last Friday.. They make me shudder!