Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WIAW #14

Today it's all about Chicken Noodle Soup. We are into our second week of being ill, and last weeks virus has become tonsillitis.. It's dragging on and we need to up out game. Upping our game calls for homemade chicken soup and lots of echinacea tea. Take that, you illness you!

I started with a whole, uncooked chicken, inspiration from Masterchef Australia (I love that programme!) and a link to a Jamie Oliver recipe (here).

And I set about poaching a whole chicken. Scary stuff!
 As per Jamies suggestion, I just covered it in cold water, with carrots, rosemary, onions and garlic and brought up to boil. After 1hr 20mins of simmering, I switched it off (At this point it was time for school pick up, so the chicken must have then sat in the hot water for another 45 mins at least)
Whilst the chicken was cooking, I made lunch. I had a spinach, carrot, cheese and houmous wrap.
 And another cup of echinacea, ginger and lemon tea - in a tankard obvs!!
 I can't even begin to describe how good it smelt!
 Reserving the poaching stock, I shredded the meat
 Making a quick salad for tomorrows lunch in the mean time
I split the poaching stock into three portions (roughly 1litre in each portion) and froze two portions for another day. Split the chicken into 4 portions (two for the soup, one quickly devoured by the children and the fourth for tomorrows lunch)
And there we have it. I put the shredded chicken back into the poaching liquid, added more seasoning, noodles and sweetcorn et voila. AMAZING.

And I swear I feel better already!

And remember - ALL herbal tea should be served specifically in a glass cup/tankard, thus making the drink 'special'.  Herbal tea is 'special' because it makes you feel virtuous.  I like to drink out of a glass half pint tankard, so I get to feel like a warrior in a tavern - virtuously obv.!


1 comment:

  1. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. I know I'm behind in commenting -- so I hope that you're all already feeling better by now :)

    ReplyDelete