Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WIAW #10

Double digits Clanettes!  Week ten of recording what I eat on a Wednesday..

Breakfast!
We are still happily living the porridge dream here, the children prep the porridge in the evening and then we all eat it heated up for breakfast.
This morning we all had honey to sweeten it, and then Lochie and I also shared a banana on the top. Niamh had her banana on the side, and Bebe opted out of fruit..

Paul's office is 37miles away, and given that he mainly commutes on his bike, he is long gone before 7am in the morning and therefore doesn't get to share breakfast with us Monday to Friday. Similary he is home after the Kidlets have eaten their tea, so I either eat with them or with him depending on the plan for the evening. Its a long day for everyone.
We all eat at the same time during the weekend.  I think sitting down together for a meal is a good way to ensure we all see each other, we can catch up and I think it promotes healthy eating - the Kidlets generally eat (or not!) what we do and this also saves cooking time!

It took a long time to decide how to best approach food in this house, and I'm still not sure we get it right all the time.  But regardless, everyone is fed and watered and mostly happy about it, so it can't be too bad!

Lunch!
Today the bagel was the star of everyones lunch.

The children took cream cheese bagels in their lunch boxes to school, together with yoghurt, crisps, fruit and some more of the chocolate flapjack we made last week - it was back by popular demand!

Niamh and I shared lentil soup and bagel, followed by yoghurt and strawberries. The soup is another River Cottage recipe, which can be found half way down this page here. I just Love Hugh!  Hugh and Jamie are my go to guys. I like Hugh for soups and puddings and freezer filling dishes.  I like Jamie for quick and inventive mid week dinners - We could eat his Asian Salmon and noodles, or his Satay Chicken til the cows come home!

Snackage!
I had coffee with my friends Clara and Erika this morning, and that may have included a cookie amongst other things..
Then this afternoon I had herbal tea, obviously, with an apple and a slice of Soreen Fruity Five maltloaf.

Dinner!

This is a meal I mentioned a couple of WIAW's ago, and it has been sat in the freezer.
 
Its a savoury crumble, and is basically a vegetable ratatouille (this one is mainly roasted butternut squash but you can use whatever you have in the fridge), that I add curry spices too, and then make a crumble topping for (so butter, flour and oats with seasoning).

Tonight we had it with sausages and gravy. Not the most nutritionally balanced of meals, but OH MY WORD it was GOOD!

And remember - ALL herbal tea should be served specifically in a glass cup/tankard, thus making the drink 'special'.  Herbal tea is 'special' because it makes you feel virtuous.  I like to drink out of a glass half pint tankard, so I get to feel like a warrior in a tavern - virtuously obv.!


3 comments:

  1. The vegetable ratatouille looks delicious! Will have to try that (minus the crumble topping though) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a healthier option without the topping :-)

      Delete
  2. Bagels and cream cheese were the bomb. I used to have those for breakfast all the time.

    And just like last week that porridge look amazing. I think I just need to come over so you can make some for me. Reminds me of the three little bears and their porridge!!

    ReplyDelete