Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WIAW #9


Its been a week since my mammoth post on the food we prepped and ate last weekend - the freezer is still full and I am enjoying not having to think about food for tea during the week.. There is probably a lesson there..!


Breakfast!
Lochie is obviously having a growth spurt or similar, because I can not keep the boy full.  He is having seconds and asking for thirds of everything.  Yesterday he had to 2 bowls of ready brek and 2 slices of toast.. I have taken action!  I like ready brek because its basically just oats and oat flour, but has added vitamins and those vitamins tick all my parenting boxes, but its quite expensive for second helpings and clearly isn't that filling.

Today we went Old Skool.  Proper porridge with proper oats and Lochie took charge of the prep.
Mornings are busy and time slips away if I'm not on the ball, so we prepped the oats last night by leaving them to soak in milk over night (one scoop of oats, two scoops of milk per person). This would hopefully make a smoother porridge, and cut down on the cooking time.
Top left is the bowl last night as it went in the fridge, top right is the bowl this morning.  You can clearly see the oats are swollen.  I popped it in the microwave and Bobs your uncle.  Or Julies your aunt.
These cereal toppers are fab at the mo, they are on offer in Tesco, so they are a bargain and I am loving putting them in different things - or just eating them out of the bag.  With the porridge this morning, the Biglets opted for jam, Niamh had honey and a share of my topper separate to her bowl. I had honey plus the other share a top my porridge.  Delightful.
And more to the point - Lochie only managed one massive bowl.  There was no request for seconds or for toast.  Winner.  We are making this again tonight for tomorrow.

Lunch!
For lunch I had a teeny portion of leftover Chickpea and Cashew Korma from the freezer, with rice and the dredges of a jar of mango chutney.  I am sure I have mentioned this curry before, its so so good (first cooked for me by the amazing Holly - Hello Holls!).  Have a look at the recipe here. YOU MUST TRY IT!

Snackage!
Chai tea in a glass tankard with an apple.  Then later a Go Ahead apple and raisin biscuit trio..  Kind of like a Garibaldi biscuit but not.. I know how to live!

Dinner!
We had Fishcakes, sweetcorn, guacamole and smashed potatoes for tea - I prepped these last week and all I had to do this evening was prep the guac.
Its a Jamie recipe.  Blitz spring onions, fresh coriander, garlic, lime juice and chilli in a blender.  Add avocado and tomatoes.  Season.  Presto.  So so gooood!
A very tasty tea it was too!

And remember - ALL herbal tea should be served specifically in a glass cup/tankard, thus making the drink 'special'.  Herbal tea is 'special' because it makes you feel virtuous.  I like to drink out of a glass half pint tankard, so I get to feel like a warrior in a tavern - virtuously obv.!


 

4 comments:

  1. That breakfast porridge looks awesome! I personally like quinoa flakes and stevia for my porridge. Sometimes I'll add chia seeds for extra fiber so that it will fill me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment! Quinoa porridge is a great idea :-)

      Delete
  2. "Robert's your mother's brother!" (Posh 'Bob's yer uncle')!!!

    ReplyDelete